So I know it's been a while since my last blog, don't worry; I'll catch you up to speed. I actually have to keep a journal for Culture and Civilization which is one of the classes that I'm taking and Dr. No, aka The Godfather, said that I could blog and give him this link (hi Dr. No, sorry about the Charlie Sheen comment) and it would count for my journal. This was after I had written a week or so worth of journal entries...anyways, here we go:
January 6th:
On your mark, Get set, GO! Today is the kick off for Rebajas, which is pretty much a better version of Black Friday. The difference is that their black Friday starts January 6th and goes through mid February! There's another part to it though, as time goes on the sales get better and better. It usually starts off with 30-40% off and by February it's up to 70% off most things, pretty amazing I know. All the good stuff disappears early in Rebajas though, so the stores are shoulder to shoulder the first day.
Being the impulsive buyer that I am I bought a badass shooting coat that I have wanted for a few years now after seeing Denzel Washing wear one skeet shooting in the movie American Gangster. It came at a price though; I had to wait an hour and a half in line to buy it. Whatever. Worth it.
January 9th:
Today was the first official meeting of the program, orientation. We all know that freshman year orientation was miserable, and so the thought of having to go through it again was not pleasant. However, this orientation was a little different. They taught us the local culture, where to eat, what bars and clubs to go to, as well as what not to do; be a "pulpo". Literally translated it means octopus, which I think is pretty funny, but it refers to a guy who is all over a girl at the bar or club. It is also ironic because Spanish people have no sense of personal space. I guess it’s just their culture to be very close to each other. For those of you who have seen the SNL skit close talkers, Spanish bars and clubs are kind of like that.
After orientation though, a group of us went to the central market. As soon as you walk into the market you are hit with a plethora of different smells. The scents consist of fruits, vegetables, cheeses, pastries, and raw fish. It's pretty much a Publix with only one difference; there are heads and feet on everything that used to be alive. I'm talking about skinned rabbits, eyeballs still intact, pigs legs hanging from the ceiling, and chickens with their heads still on them. It shows that the produce is fresh? I still haven't quite figured it out yet. My first trip there though was an eye opener for sure.
I actually have to go to class right now but I'll try and finish this up later.
No comments:
Post a Comment